Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Doctor Who Week Part 1

That's right ladies and gents
Its Doctor Who week here at
Chris's 365 Days of Doodles

I decided to start off with the first three Doctors. The ones I was first introduced to.  I started watching the DW series when the ninth Doctor was doing his thing and have (like so many before me) fallen in love with all things Doctor Who.  I've always been a Sci-Fi fan and will without shame admit to being both a Fanboy (Star Wars Fan) and a Trekkie or Trekker or whatever (if you don't know what that is I'd be shocked).  

However for some reason I always shied away from Doctor Who until one night I saw that it was on and said what the hell.  I've been hooked ever since.  With the desire so be a true "Whovian" I've been slowly plugging my way through the Classic Doctor Who episodes since they're available on both Netflix and of course Hulu Plus.  I've made it to the third Doctor and can't help but enjoy the novelty of the old school filming techniques and special effects.

Here are the Doctors that have kept me hooked.
145/365
The Ninth Doctor
The Ninth Doctor was portrayed by the British Actor Christopher Eccleston during the first series of the show's revival in 2005.  The show had been on hiatus since 1996 and Eccleston is credited with helping to revive the series.  His edgy less eccentric take on the famous role and the introduction of a much stronger female companion brought a whole new generation of Whovians (me included) to the sleeping franchise.  He may not be the most popular these days what with both the tenth and eleventh Doctor's numbers of fans but no one should forget that without number nine there can't be a 10, 11, or soon to be 12.
144/365
The Tenth Doctor
The Tenth Doctor was portrayed by the Scottish Actor David Tennant (whom many of you may remember from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire as Barty Crouch Jr.) took over the role of The Doctor after Christopher Eccleston's single season.  Tennant as the Tenth Doctor then proceeded stay on for three seasons, a number of shorts and animated spin offs, & the traditional Christmas specials.  He was voted the UK's favorite doctor in 2013 and its no surprise.
When the Ninth Doctor died and regenerated I was totally unaware that this could happen (even though if I'd been paying any attention at all to the Doctor Who world it was a well established reality).  I was sad and not big on the idea of accepting a new actor into the role, but David Tennant turned out to be stupendously wonderful in the role and I was quickly hooked on the 10th doctor too.

143/365
The Eleventh Doctor
The Eleventh Doctor was portrayed by the British Actor Matt Smith and again as the Tenth Doctor was dying I was angry.  David Tennant disappeared and Matt Smith took his place, and just as with the case of David Tennant I fell in love with Smith's version too. Smith was in three seasons as well as seven specials, over an almost four-year-long period.  Smith was amazing in so many ways.

Just talking about the Doctors in the show doesn't even scratch the surface of the array of wonderful characters he comes into contact with. 

Stay tuned for more Who-Fun.

Happy Doodling 
Chris
    


No comments:

Post a Comment